Thursday 21 October 2010

The Story of Ruth and Boaz.(This is a story of commitment and love.) to be continued

The full title in Hebrew is named after a young woman of Moab,
the great-grandmother of David and according to the Christian tradition an ancestress of Jesus. 

During the time of Judges when there was a famine, an Israelite family from Bethlehem- Elimelech, his wife Naomi, and their sons Mahlon and Chilion- emigrate to the nearby country of Moab.  Elimelech dies, and the sons marry two moabite women:
Mahlon marries Ruth and Chilion marries Orpah.
The two sons then die themselves and Naomi decides to return to
Bethlehem.  Naomi, tells her daughter-in- laws to return to their own mothers and remarry.  Orpah relunctantly agrees and leaves;
however Ruth says ' Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following you.  For wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you lodge, I will lodge.  Your people will be my people; and your God  my God.  Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried.  The Lord do so to me and more also, if anything but death parts, you and me.


The two women return to Bethlehem.  It is time for the barley harvest, and in order to support her mother-in -law and herself,Ruth goes to the fields to gather the useful remnants of crops for after harvesting.  The field she went to belongs to a man
called Boaz, who is kind to her because he had heard of her loyalty to her mother-in-law.  Ruth tells her mother- in -law of Boaz's kindness and she gathers in his field through the remainder of the haevest season.

No comments:

Post a Comment